Cruise Ship Illness In Maryland – Can You Sue?

Written by ruxandra

When it comes to cruises, people can suffer many types of unpleasantness. However, the cruise ship company is not responsible for all of them. If you get a cruise ship illness in Maryland, you may be able to sue the company, but depending on the circumstances. For example, if you get seasick, you may not have grounds for a personal injury claim. But if you get food poisoning, then you can file a claim for cruise ship passenger injury in MD and contact an Annapolis injury attorney to help you receive compensation.

Cruise Ship Passenger Injury In MD

As with most of the personal injury claims, if you get sick on a cruise ship, you need to be able to prove negligence on behalf of the company. There are three illnesses that can occur on a cruise ship and are almost always the result of the company’s negligence.

Norovirus, otherwise known as stomach flu causes fever, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramps. This virus is highly contagious and it is also very common on cruise ships. However, if you are the only one that got sick, it will be next to impossible to prove the company’s negligence. If other people also came down with norovirus, then you will need to gather evidence to prove the company’s negligence and the fact that their lack of reasonable care led to your illness. For more information about gathering evidence, contact your Annapolis injury lawyer.

Food poisoning is another common illness that can occur on a cruise ship. As with norovirus, you have better chances at recovering compensation if other passengers were also affected by this illness.

Legionnaires’ Disease is, by far, one of the most severe illnesses you can get from a cruise ship. It is fatal in 15% of the cases and it has long-term consequences for the other 85% of the cases. At the center of this disease is the Legionella bacterium, which grows in warm water, like hot tubs and heating and plumbing systems. Though it is very dangerous, killing Legionella bacterium is also rather easy – all you need is hot water. But if you got Legionnaires’ Disease on a cruise ship, it means that the pools or hot tubs haven’t been heated enough. As opposed to the other two illnesses, you don’t need any other passenger to get sick with this disease in order to prove the company’s fault.  But, as your personal injury lawyer from Maryland will tell you, you will still need to gather evidence.

Annapolis Injury Attorney

If you got sick on a cruise ship and believe it was the company’s fault, you need to contact a personal injury lawyer from Maryland. They will be able to correctly assess your situation and let you know what chances you have at recovering compensation. Contact the best Annapolis injury lawyer at (443) 569-3950 or by email at [email protected]. We offer a free initial consultation so that you know where you stand and what chances you have.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *