Did your slip and fall accident occur on government property?

Written by ruxandra

If your slip-and-fall accident occurred on government property, can you hold them responsible for your accident? There are many factors which can influence the answer, but if the government did not maintain or keep their property safe for the public, they can be held liable for your injuries. In Maryland, the government has strict notice and time in which you can file your slip-and-fall injury claim. Furthermore, with the help of your slip-and-fall injury lawyer from Maryland you can get compensation, but it may be limited based on the state limitations.

The Government’s negligence and premises liability in Maryland

The governmental entity where your accident occurred can be held liable for your injuries if:

  • The accident occurred on their property
  • The government entity or one of their employees was negligent in some way
  • Their negligence caused your accident

Just because you fell while on the governmental property does not automatically mean that the authority managing the property is also legally liable. What if there was no unsafe condition that caused the accident? Your slip-and-fall injury lawyer from Maryland has to prove that the government was negligent, by showing they knew or should have known of the particular unsafe condition that caused your injury (for example an oil stain).

Notice deadlines and important time

Maryland, just like other states in the United States, have strict rules that you must follow when filing a slip-and-fall injury claim against the government. Before suing the federal government/state/ municipality, you have to file a formal notice of injury letting the government know about your accident. Your slip-and-fall injury lawyer can help you with this. The notice usually includes the following information:

  • Name and address of the injured person
  • The date when the injury occurred
  • A detailed summary of how the accident and injury occurred
  • A statement claiming that the governmental authority has been negligent
  • A description of the injuries you suffered
  • A description of the medical bills and any other financial losses

It is advised to send this notice in the first 30 days after the accident occurred so you should contact your slip-and-fall attorney as soon as possible.

Notice to the governmental entity

It is extremely important to send your notice to the right office if you want to receive slip-and-fall injury compensation in Maryland. Sending the notice to the wrong office might invalidate your claim. You also have to make your claim against the correct governmental entity as well if you want to recover any monetary damage at all. To help your slip-and-fall injury lawyer have a proper claim in Maryland, you should take pictures of the accident scene (i.e. the oil stain), the injuries you suffered and your clothes immediately after the accident occurred.

For more information about this you can contact the best slip-and-fall injury attorney in Maryland at (443) 569-3950 or send an email to [email protected].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *