Has your loved one suffered sexual abuse in Columbia, Maryland? What are the signs?Written by ruxandra
Only a single abuse sign does not indicate that your loved one has been the victim of a sexual assault in Columbia, Maryland. But if you see that your loved one is showing multiple signs, then you should start asking questions and think about how you can help them. With the aid and support of a personal injury lawyer from Columbia, Maryland, you can bring the person responsible to justice and get the compensation your loved one deserves.
Your Columbia injury lawyer may tell you to keep in mind that it may be possible for these signs to appear in some stressful times in your loved one’s life, such as:
- Problems with friends
- Problems as school
- Death of a family member
- During divorce
- Other traumatic or anxiety-causing events
Behavior changes in children or teenagers
The personal injury attorney from Columbia, Maryland, will explain to you that the children who were sexually abused may show the following abuse signs:
- Sleep problems or nightmares without explanation
- Seem distant or distracted
- Refusal to talk
- Sudden mood swings (such as fear, rage, withdrawal, insecurity)
- Sudden changes in eating habits (loss of appetite, refusal to eat, trouble swallowing)
- Think of self-harm
- Exhibit adult language
- Talk about a new adult friend
- Think their body is dirty
- Suddenly have new toys and money (for no apparent reason)
All these are sexual abuse signs, and if your loved one experiences at least three at the same time, you should contact a Columbia injury attorney. Child sexual abuse is illegal in the U.S. under the federal law. With the help of your personal injury attorney from Columbia, Maryland, you can prove the incident and make the person responsible pay for it.
Sexual abuse signs in younger children
Younger children usually exhibit different sexual abuse signs then a teenager. “Younger children” refers to children younger than 10 years old.
- New wounds in the private parts area
- Acting younger than they really are (such as bet wetting and thumb-sucking)
- Mimics adult behavior with their stuffed animals/other toys
- Be reluctant to remove clothing at appropriate times (bath, bed, diapering, etc.)
If your young child is showing any of these signs, you should contact your Columbia injury lawyer and ask what to do further.
Typical signs for adolescents
Teenagers tend to show the sexual abuse signs in a different way than younger children. Your Columbia injury attorney may tell you to watch out for:
- Sexual promiscuity
- Running away from home
- Drug/alcohol abuse
- Suicide attempts
- Fear of intimacy
- Compulsive eating or dieting
- Inadequate hygiene
Physical warning signs
- Pain, bleeding, and discoloration of mouth, genitals, or anus
- Soiling or wetting accidents
- Persistent pain during bowel movements/urination
The sexual abuse signs can be easily overlooked. But as a responsible parent you should pay attention to your child, and if anything raises an eyebrow, you should talk to your loved one.
For more information about sexual abuse, you may contact a personal injury lawyer from Columbia, Maryland, for a free consolation of your case at (443) 569-3950 or send an email at [email protected]lisaccidentattoreny.com.