Pedestrian Injury Compensation in MD – What to Do if You Have Been Hit by A Car?Written by ruxandra
According to several studies, nearly 3000 pedestrians are injured in motor vehicle accidents in Maryland each year. This is not a small figure; it is rather a concerning one. Furthermore, pedestrian injury compensation in MD is sought every year by the people who have been through this kind of traumatic event. Unfortunately, many of the cases get dismissed because people don’t know what to do in case they have been hit by a car and usually contact a pedestrian accident lawyer in Maryland too late. This is why we have decided to let you know what you need to do in this situation to solidify your pedestrian injury claim in Maryland.
The Basics of a Pedestrian Injury Lawsuit in MD
Any car injury lawyer from Maryland will explain to you that both vehicle operators and pedestrians have the legal obligation to exercise ordinary care. This being said you can receive pedestrian compensation in MD if you haven’t contributed in any way to the accident. Yes, the fact that Maryland is one of the four states in the USA that has the rule of contributory negligence makes things more difficult. But with the help of an experienced pedestrian accident attorney in Annapolis you have better chances of winning the trial.
The judge will take into consideration several factors regarding the accident.
- If you complied with the traffic signal when you crossed the street – you cannot cross on red or even yellow light.
- If you respected the pedestrian control signs
- If you suddenly walked or ran in front of the vehicle, even if on the crosswalk
- If at the time of your accident you were on the road and not on a marked or unmarked crosswalk
- If you were on the roadway, even though there was a sidewalk available to you
- If you were on the left side of the roadway in case there was no sidewalk available
Pedestrian Injury Claim in Maryland
If you have respected all the rules above and got hit by a car, you will need a car injury lawyer in Maryland by your side. The preferred defense strategy of the responsible driver will be to indicate contributory negligence, but with the help of the right pedestrian accident lawyer in Maryland, you can receive justice. In addition to specialized support, you will also need to solidify your claim through some actions after the accident. You have better chances of winning a pedestrian personal injury lawsuit in MD if:
- You write down the facts after the accident as soon as you can. Write everything down: where it happened, when, your position at the time of the crash, the weather conditions and what the driver said back then.
- You have pictures from the accident that show the vehicle involved in it
- You have witnesses that you had previously identified and asked for statements
- You have a copy of the State of Maryland Motor Vehicle Accident Report
For more information about what you need to do, you can contact us anytime. Also, if you have been hit by a car, call the best pedestrian accident attorney in Annapolis and Maryland at (443) 569-3950 or via email at [email protected] to receive a free consultation.