What to do in case of a slip-and-fall injury at work in Maryland?

Written by ruxandra

The slip-and-fall accident can occur when someone trips, falls, slips or is injured on someone’s property. If the property owner was at fault because he failed to take proper care of their assets, then the person injured has the right of receiving slip-an-fall compensation in MD. The slip-and-fall accidents may happen both on private, and public property and the person hurt can sue for slip-and-fall injury.

Slip-and-fall injury at work in Maryland

Slip-and-falls are the most common category of work-related accidents. In fact, the majority of slip-and-fall injuries happen at work, and they most often result in minor “soft tissue” injuries, such as sprained ligaments, tendons, and muscles, small gashes, minor burns, and minor contusions and abrasions. But there is a significant number of “hard injuries”, which include disk herniations, deep wounds, amputations, fractures, head trauma, and third/fourth-degree burns.  If you have suffered such an injury, you should contact your slip-and-fall attorney from Annapolis and find out what you should do next.

Employers are bound by OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration) regulations. The regulations mandate all the safety measures that should be taken at the workplace. Any employer who violates these rules may incur substantial fines and even incarceration.

The common causes of slip-and-fall accidents at work are:

  • Spilled liquids
  • Inadequate or non-existent warning signs
  • Cracked, torn or uneven flooring
  • Poor lighting
  • Broken or uneven stairs
  • Holes in the floor
  • Abrupt, unexpected elevator stops
  • Exposed cables

Slip-and-fall injury compensation in MD

The employees who were injured at their workplace have the right to worker’s compensation benefits. And because of that, they are not required to bring any proof of the employer’s negligence. The injury is sufficient enough to file a worker’s compensation claim. Most of the time, the slip-and-fall injury compensation in MD includes out-of-the-pocket expenses, payment for the therapy and medical bills, and two-thirds of the wages lost during the employer’s treatment and recovery.

The first step of the work accident claim is the “first report of injury” that you have to bring to your employer. You have to include in the form specific information such as time, date, and cause of your accident. If your injuries are more severe, you can complete the form once you are stabilized. To complete the “first report of injury” form you can get the help of a slip-and-fall injury lawyer from Maryland.

Afterward, your employer will offer you a list of physicians that are company-approved. These physicians are paid by the workers’ comp insurance company. Out of these doctors, you have to choose a “primary treating physician”. This specialist will evaluate you and refer you to another doctor (such as a podiatrist, orthopedist, chiropractor, etc.) that will treat your injury.

If you feel that your physician is not acting in good faith (and your injury is much worse than what he reports), you can get the opinion of another company-approved doctor.

Determining the fault

If an employee has contributed to their workplace injury, they are still entitled to worker’s compensation benefits. There are a few exceptions, such as when the injury was intentional, or the actions of the employee had high chances of causing injuries. That is why you should contact a slip-and-fall injury lawyer from Maryland and discuss details about the accident.

In most slip-and-fall accidents you have to sue for the slip-and-fall injury, but if the incident occurred at work, the system is pretty straightforward.

If you suffered a slip-and-fall injury at work in Maryland, contact the best slip-and-fall attorney from Annapolis at (443) 569-3950 or at the email: [email protected] for a free consultation of your case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *