Can the municipality be liable for an electric injury in Baltimore, Maryland?

Written by ruxandra

The answer is yes. It is possible for you to sue the state for an electric injury in Baltimore, Maryland, but you need to follow specific rules and guidelines. These guidelines are known and the MTCA or Maryland Tort Claims Act. You also need to obey the Maryland statute of limitations. With the help of your personal injury lawyer from Baltimore, Maryland, you can sue the state efficiently and be compensated for your electrocution treatment, pain, and suffering, and for the municipality’s negligence.

Your Baltimore injury lawyer is well aware of the MTCA rules and can help you sue the state of Maryland for the maximum amount of compensation you qualify for. Your Baltimore injury attorney will also explain to you what requirements you need to meet for electrocution compensation.

  • The one-year time requirement. You need to submit a written letter with your claim to the Maryland State Treasurer. You have one year in which you can file this claim from the moment you suffered your injury and not from the moment you discovered the injury. Your personal injury lawyer from Baltimore, Maryland will make sure the state treasurer will receive your claim in time.
  • The claim letter has to have the following elements:
  1. Name and Address of the parties involved in the lawsuit.
  2. A statement where the facts of your case are disclosed, including:
  3. The time you got your injury
  4. Place where the accident happened
  5. The nature of your claim
  6. What you demand for you injuries (i.e. the amount of your compensation).
  7. Name, address, telephone nr. and email of your Baltimore injury attorney.
  8. The claim must be signed by both you and your legal counsel.

In some cases, even if you miss the one-year period in which you are allowed to submit your claim, you can still request a court hearing. Your Baltimore injury lawyer has to file a motion where the court is asked to approve a hearing. In most cases, the court will object the delay, but in the past, some cases were the case moved forward.

The process will take a while

The Treasurer will need around six months to investigate your claim. If the Treasurer will deny your claim or does not resolve your case in 6 months, you can sue the state of Maryland directly. But if the Treasurer finishes their investigation, you can file your complaint with the court (3 years after your accident maximum).  You can ask the help of your personal injury attorney from Baltimore, Maryland to serve the summons, the complaint and all other documents required to the Treasurer.

If all the requirements are met and win your case, the state will be liable and will have to pay a certain amount of money. Unfortunately, MTCA limits the amount for a single incident at $400,000.

For more information about electrical injuries and what your options are you can contact the best personal injury lawyer from Baltimore, Maryland, at (443) 569-3950 or via email [email protected] for a free consultation of your case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *